Moby Dick, the great white whale in Herman Melville’s classic seafaring adventure, drove Captain Ahab to insanity before pulling the old salt to his death beneath the briny depths. Not entirely unrelated, Obama is heading up a health care summit this Thursday to try to persuade congress to resurrect the wildly unpopular and politically poisonous health care bill. The bill has already died a thousand ugly deaths at the hands of tea partiers, horrified citizens, the broken budget, sinking poll numbers, and finally, we erroneously thought, by the historic election in Massachusetts last month of Senator Scott Brown, who was put into office primarily by promising to “kill the bill”.
Completely at odds with a grasp on reality, The One refuses to let what was to be the centerpiece of his domestic agenda die a dignified death. The Democrats spent an entire year crafting what future historians will unanimously declare the worst piece of legislation ever to grind out of the congressional sausage factory. They have suffered so much damage carrying Obama’s urine jug that they are all but certain to loose their majorities in the House and the Senate this November. Alas, Captain Ahab, er, I mean Captain Obama can’t let it go.With the harpoon line firmly wrapped 'round his spindly ankles, stubbornly ignoring the cries of his decimated crew, he unexplainably is demanding a nationally televised town hall with the Republicans to “hammer out the differences.” If only someone had suggested that to FDR and Churchill when they had to deal with that wily Hitler fellow…
One can only guess as to what B. Hussien’s motives are for this Thursday’s Kabuki dance. Does he really think that his charm, intelligence and wit will convince all of us dimwitted Americans to suddenly crave a government takeover of our healthcare system? Is there anything he can possibly say that has not been said 100 times over? Does he enjoy the dull thud of a dead horse being beaten over and over? I have studied the man very closely for a couple years now, and have a few theories. I think the pundits are confused because Obama himself doesn’t know what's going to come out of the summit. He is a rigid, calculating ideologue who most certainly knows that his entire political fortune rides on the success of ObamaCare. He must realize that it is currently DOA, but like a young, zealous ER intern with a defibrillator in one hand and nothing to loose in the other, he’s going to give the patient one last jolt to see what happens when he applies a few more joules.
Here, in decreasing order of likelihood, is what I think he’s hoping to accomplish:
- His superior rhetoric and ideas will win the day during the nationally televised soap opera causing the switchboards to light up with millions of calls from former skeptics who have seen the error of their ways and now demand their Senator/Congressperson to vote yes on whatever Obama wants.
- His political heft and brinkmanship will convince a handful of politicians who are on the fence, including maybe one or two Republicans, to pass the behemoth.
- Sway the Democrats to commit political suicide by ramming the bill through using an arcane and unhanded procedure known as Reconciliation, whereby not one Republican vote is needed. (Note: This is also known as the “Nuclear Option” and would lead to MASSIVE civil unrest. Of course, there’s a very convincing theory that Obama is actively encouraging an uprising so he can declare martial law. Subject for a different day…BTW - here's a fascinating video clip that shows the very same Democrats who are pushing for reconciliation arguing passionately against it a few years ago. )
- Fail to get his bill passed, but with the eager assistance of his media lackeys, “prove” to the public that it is the evil Republican empire that is responsible for all the bickering and dysfunction in Congress. This, I believe, is probably the true reason of the summit, although he’ll take more if Congress is willing to stick its neck out for him. (Note: Blaming the Republicans for a broken system will continue to be his meme for the rest of the year. A slight shift from last year’s lame “Blame Bush” strategy.)
- Give cover to Democrats in this November’s elections. In this scenario, he’ll “convince” Congress to put his bill to a final vote, allowing dozens of them to vote “No” this time around so they can tell their constituents that they stood against Obama and his unpopular bill. They are relying on voters to be either forgiving or stupid. Oops, I am talking about Democrats here…
- Iran will get Nukes and start a war with Israel. This will cause everyone to forget about the whole healthcare fiasco as we will all be clamoring for Queequeg’s coffin. (See Moby Dick) Then again, perhaps this whole healthcare debacle was only a diversion so we’d take our eyes off of Iran…
What interesting times we live in!
Update on 2/24/10 - It appears that the Dems are bluffing on using reconciliation as they don't seem to even have even 50 votes at this point. The Repubs need to stand firm and not fall for O's empty threat. This goes right along with Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals - #1 "Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have."